Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default OT... GPS's

Mike wrote:
Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm
blue in the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on
NewEgg, any suggestions for competitors?

It depends upon what they are going to use it for.

Personally, I have the cheapest Garmin they sold at the time (a couple of
years ago), the eTrex H (high sensitivity). It was a hundred bucks, and the
high sensitivity lets me get a signal inside of my house (or out in the
woods in the trees.

About the only thing I use it for is finding waypoints; I mark them on my
TOPO software, then download them to the unit. When I'm out in the field,
the unit leads me to where the places I want to go are.

It makes a neat addition to map and compass, especially useful when I am too
lazy/tired/exhausted to navigate by map and compass alone. Lets me cover
more ground that way, in some circumstances.

It will never replace map and compass, but it's a nice adjunct.

Jon