Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Replacing a redwood deck

On Aug 24, 1:40*am, Kate wrote:
I have a redwood deck just outside my front door. *The steps leading up
to it are TREX. *The TREX flaked badly, and I got a settlement check.
Today, a friend was going to help me rebuild the steps again, and we
found dry rot.

What happened is that the family I bought this 11 year old home from ran
the dryer vent underneath the deck area. *The moisture caused the dry
rot. When I moved here four years ago, I had someone move the vent so
that it vents outside of the deck, into the outside air. For four years
there has not been any new moisture underneath the deck. *It is bone dry.

What should have been a two hour job, took four hours. *We completely
removed every board as it was all dry rotted. *It is nice and clean now..

I am thinking about hiring a concrete company to pour a concrete deck
and steps. *Then, I don't have to worry about wood rotting, boards
needing to be treated every summer, and TREX flaking.

My home has vinyl siding.

Can someone tell me if a concrete company can pour a nice deck and steps
after a home has been built. *I know it is easy to do in a new home, but
this is not a new home.

I just want to be sure it looks nice as I am quite fussy.

Would you go the concrete route, or stick with TREX?

Many thanks everyone.

Kate

WOW I dont think I have ever seen redwood rot.

Jimmie