Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT... GPS's

On Aug 24, 10:27*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

But short answer, if we knew what you were going to be using it for, we
might be able to give you better advice. *Me, I got a Garmin nuvi 500,
which is pretty much an all-around compromise - it's mostly driving
centric, but doesn't have spoken street names and has a smaller screen
than some other models.

This is the one I'm looking at. It will be used for driving.http://www.newegg.com:80/Product/Pro...82E16858108329

Consider buying your unit on eBay (the 264WT appears to be available
for cheaper than at NewEgg) but know this:

1 - Keep in mind that these will probably be refurbished models, but
will come with the same Garmin-backed warranty that Garmin offers on
it's new units. If it's eligible for a map upgrade when you register
it with Garmin, you'll get it.

2 - Before purchasing, contact the seller and ask if they will supply
a non-eBay receipt with the unit. Garmin specifically states that they
will not honor warranties for units purchased at auction sites, but if
you have a receipt from the seller's store, you'll be fine.

I've purchased 3 Garmins in this manner, received map upgrades on all
3 (within 30 days) and even returned one under warranty for exchange.
They never asked for a receipt, but I had them ready if required.