Posted to alt.home.repair
Mint Mint is offline

Default Garage door opener won't close

On Aug 24, 3:30*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

The garage door at my mother's house has an intermittent problem.

Sometimes it won't close. If I hold the button down, the door will go
down but when I let go of the bottom it starts going back up.

There isn't anything blocking the sensor.

The garage door opener is a Genie screw drive type that is about 15
years old.

What can I look for to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

There are sensors that shut off the motor when it reaches a certain point of
travel. *These are mechanical switches on top of the track, or an internal
one that adjusts with a + or - symbol over a plastic screw. *Get on a
ladder, and work the door. *Watch it travel, and look for the limit
switches, as they are called. *They are simple metal tabs on top of a box
about one inch square. *Once you get up there, if they are there, you will
spot them, just look towards the ends of the track about a foot in. *One may
be boogered up. *They hold to the track with a simple screw, and that is all
that is necessary to move one to the proper place where it will stop either
the up or down of the door.

Steve

The red light in the door sensor is blinking.

I found a manual and found out that the red LED blinks when the
sensors are not aligned.
The LED is supposed to be on all the time.

Should be a simple repair.

Andy