Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air compressor wiring

stryped fired this volley in news:de36b302-c88c-
:

I bought 10/3 wire and plan
to use a dedicated circuuit breaker. I also bought a flush mount 4
prong recepticle.

Can I use this for an air compressor?

You didn't say what sort of recepticle, so I'll assume you got one
similar to a dryer outlet. It'll work, but you'd be better off with #
8 wire, 3-conductor plus ground.

A high-inrush 5HP compressor might draw 50 amps on start. Although #
10 will carry it without excessive heating, you'll get less voltage
drop - even on a 30-50' run - with #8.

No biggie, though. I'm guessing you won't be going for a commercial
grade and size of compressor, anyway.

LLoyd