Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Well, in fairness, Berzerkely did give us BSD Unix ... sort of ...
with the help of the best and brightest from the then Bell Labs crowd.
This ultimately gave us TCP/IP and the internet. The irony is that
this was funded by ARPA - the research arm of the Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil
government military technocrats. I wonder how many of the smelly
hippies stumbling against the cause of the day realized that their CS
department was building a technology infrastructure designed to be
survivable (by the military) in the face of nuclear exchange.

There were certainly quite a few brilliant minds to came from that area at
the time, that is certain. Pioneering minds, embodying the spirit of the
West, as it were.

As to Norm - I rather like his show. I am smart enough to realize that
you do not build an armoire' in 22 minutes plus commercials, even with
every tool Porter Cable makes. I also don't much care for his
aesthetic sensibility. BUT ... it's nice to watch a master craftsman
doing his job. It's an good insight into how grown up WWing is done
for us relative rookies.

The thing I got from watching Norm was the intricacies of his jigs. While
the 30 seconds he showed using the jigs didn't illustrate the time spent in
creating and aligning the jigs, it still sparked the concept in my brain
that the prepwork was really the fundamental reason for success in making
things.

Jon