Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default Two drilling questions

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 23:14:51 -0700 (PDT), Dave D
wrote:

We use a number of the small bench-top drill presses. Yes they're
cheap, but it seems like the ones that are 4 times more are just the
same models with more fancy colors, so I go with the cheap ones.
Lately I've noticed a number of them have started making a chattering
sound somewhere in the head. They still drill fine. Whatever it is
doesn't seem to affect anything, but it sounds like it will
eventually. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anybody
has noticed a certain part that starts going, just to save myself the
trouble of taking them apart and figuring it out.

Second... I've always had difficulty drilling through thin metals...
Anything less than 1/8" aluminum... say 1/16" aluminum mainly. The
problem seems to be that the point runs out the other side and doesn't
guide the bit enough, which leads to a less than round hole. On flat
stock I can put scrap behind it, but that won't work with tube. I've
tried numerous bits, but I noticed these on Mc Master's

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8769a27/=3bmsl6

Just wondering if anybody has used something like that for that
purpose and what they think.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

for sheet metal use a unibit, they will cut a round hole.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#unibit-drill-bits/=3brf6o

above is just one size, they make 2 or three others.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.