Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default plumbing: scaled up tap connector (was freezing kits)

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:29:54 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I used something like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13294/...s/Basin-Wrench

You are now going to tell me I should have used this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14631/...e-Basin-Wrench

aren't you

Errm. Afraid so :-) The first one is a useful as a back pocket in a sock.

I knew there was one that was liked by the group and one that wasn't
but I couldn't remember which was which. In defence of the first one,
I have used it to remove my old bath and two basins, and refit all of
their replacements. I guess they work when the fittings are clean and
accessible.

I think the problem I have had is that I am now working on a sink,
where the joints are more out of reach.

You mentioned box spanners before and I was going to say it is a shame
they do not make very long box spanners that would reach from the tap
connectors down below the sink basin where you could easily fit a
tommy bar. I'm not sure there would be much room to turn the bar
squashed between the sink bowl and the wall.

I guess the second tool has some good features: it seems to have a
long handle that would drop beneath the sink bowl where it could be
turned more easily. I hear you can attach a wrench from a socket set
to some of them for extra leverage.

I am puzzled by the latest offering from Monument:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd210/p63844

It has two ends. What is the second used for? At first I thought there
was one end for 15mm and the other for 22mm but I thought the "claw"
was one size fits all? Then I notice the second end is in a different
plane. Is one end for vertical use and the other end for horizontal?
Aren't 99% of tap connectors vertical?

At least I haven't suggested
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...ch=jaw+dropper
which is what I use, worth every penny.

I looked at this and your review but I am unsure what it does. Why do
they come as a pair? Is there a 15mm and 22mm version? Am I right tot
think that they tighten the tap back nut and tap connector nut at
once? What's the point of that? To prevent one coming undone whilst
you tighten the other?

Thanks.