Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Concrete Garage Floor Question

benick wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
Dave wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm in a cold climate - eastern Canada.

The apron (for lack of a better term) of my 30 year-old concrete
garage floor is starting to chip rather badly. You can see the nature
of the chipping he

http://myplace.route2.pe.ca/dave.gal...age/garage.jpg

Any ideas on how best to not only stop the decay, but how it might be
returned to its original condition?

Moving on a tangent, why do you garage the car? I(snip)

Because I detest digging the car out of snow cover, and even when it
isn't snowing, scraping the frost off the windows?

My attached garage is not heated, other than what leaks out from the
imperfect house walls, and the hot engine block and other moving parts
that the car brings in from the cold. It freezes in there, but seldom
freezes hard. You are correct that thermal cycling promotes rust, but
I put that under the chapter heading of an acceptable tradeoff.

Now if I could just find a cost-effective way to make the driveway
shovel itself when it snows.

--
aem sends...

Well for starters , stop putting salt on it...I don't get the need for
a completely clear and dry driveway in the winter..A paved drive will
melt off by itself in a few days unless it is below zero....In my gravel
drive I always pack down the first snow of the season by driving over it
with the plow truck and only plow after I have a good base...NO SALT and
I only sand if it gets icy like after freezing rain or sleet ,
ect....ALOT less damage to the drive and lawn....I put studded snows on
SWMBO's car anyway for my peace of mind while she is commuting and I
drive a 4X4...If you live in snow country you should run snowtires and
lay off the salt....IMHO...

I don't put salt on my driveway. I do, however, drive on the public
roads, and they put plenty (sometimes way too much) salt on those.
Entire lower side of car and suspension ends up covered with an
ice-snow-salt slurry, and when it isn't cold enough to keep all that
crud frozen, it drips on the garage floor.

If I had a barn, I'd keep an old beater 4x4 in it for the 3-4 weeks a
year the roads are really bad, but since that is not an option, I make
do with a snow blower for my steeply sloped asphalt driveway, and paying
attention to what I am doing when out driving. Driving on the snowpack
is not an option with a sloped driveway and an automatic transmission.
DAMHIKT. And yes, if I can expose even a third of the asphalt surface,
half a day of sunlight will burn the drive clear if it isn't below 10
degrees or so.

--
aem sends...