Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Backstabbed" wiring: bad rap?

John Gilmer wrote:
If you twist and pull at the same time you can pull the
wire out but it will not come loose on its own. It does
not seem to affect reuseability.

Some/most of them have a "slot" that will accept a very small flat blade
screwdriver. Push in the screwdrive and they release the wire.

Apparently the industry has solved the safety and reliability with the
"backstabing" outlets. Also there are connectors that use the same
"technology." They make them in a variety of "sizes" for wires sizes and
the number of conductors to be joined. They are "UL" approved so I guess
they are 'gud enuf.' I used the connectors in my attic and so far the
house hasn't burned down. But even the manufacturer says that they have
more resistance than your typical twisting wirenut connection. I guess,
however, it's within the range of acceptability.

BTW: "They" have finally made an "approved" splice for romex so that you
don't have to use a junction box when you can't "stretch" a cable when you
move a ceiling outlet or whatever. I pick up one on speculation but
haven't used it.

BZZZIT, wrong item, you're describing the outlets, I was describing
the Ideal brand connectors. I have some other connectors that have
a little lever you flip up to insert/release each wire.

http://www.wago.us/2631.htm

TDD