Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

notbob wrote:

TOH and similar shows provide ideas to people with some experience
of using tools, with tips and guidance to made the job easier, and
frankly with inspiration--"Hey, I think I could do that."

Nonsense. In the later shows, it was just getting ridiculous.
Insanely expensive hi-tech options that any home owner, renovating or
not, if they were well off enough to afford it, they were at a level
where they probably didn't give a good goddamn about the technical
merits/details. Just, "Here's my account. When will it be finished?"
There was often no owner even on camera, just what's-his-face and the
contractor. "Well Rick, tell us about these new boron fiber
impregnated laminates. I understand they're the exact same ones used
in the latest space shuttle toilet paper."

Of course they feature some razzle-dazzle stuff that no homeowner is likely
to be able to install himself, but that doesn't invalidate the basic premise
of the show. Many of us could handle framing or drywall or painting but
would think twice about trying serious plumbing or wiring. That's no
different than being unable to handle the high-tech stuff on today's shows,
it's just a matter of degree. I agree that the "This Old Mansion" thing is
sometimes carried too far, but the companies supplying that gee-whiz
technology help to pay for the show too. And five minutes later Tommy is
showing us how to install a garage door or sharpen a chisel--it ain't all
big-bucks high-tech stuff.