Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Concrete Garage Floor Question

Dave wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm in a cold climate - eastern Canada.

The apron (for lack of a better term) of my 30 year-old concrete
garage floor is starting to chip rather badly. You can see the nature
of the chipping he

http://myplace.route2.pe.ca/dave.gal...age/garage.jpg

Any ideas on how best to not only stop the decay, but how it might be
returned to its original condition?

Moving on a tangent, why do you garage the car? I live the other side of The
Pond where the winter temperature rarely gets to -17C but is frequently sub
zero. Putting an auto after use in a garage encourages those little russet
creatures to invade the vehicle.

I deliberately leave our regularly used autos on the drive to avoid that
little mite that lives in the garage.

We do have a '57 motor sat in there that I've not used for a while, motor
bikes and KIDS' junk! The garage would fit both my wife's and my motor which
I chose not to do. The concrete in the near 30 year old garage is fine.

My younger kid's motor (Peugeot 306) that has been in the family for over 8
years and is over 12 years old has now done just short of 100 kmiles has no
surface rust but some in the seams of the bonnet over the engine; my motor,
a Ford Focus that is almost 8 years old, has evidence that the russet bug
has attacked the bonnet surface as a result of paint chips (only) and has
over 150 kmiles on the clock; my wife's 206cc that is just 2.5 years old has
no evidence of the russet bug.

Before you ask!, my elder son has no desire to own an auto though he has a
license.