Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

snip
I do genuinely hate these specific shows: "Hometime," "This Old
House"
and "The New Yankee Workshop." I hate them for one simple reason:
they
make most people feel like idiots. Even if a show only
demonstrates how
to build a basic chest of drawers, it does a lousy job of
preparing the
average Joe or Joan for the task.

snip

Trying to lump the NYW with the rest of these DIY operations is like
trying to compare a VW bug with a race car.

Personally I wouldn't consider building more than maybe 20% of Norm's
projects; however, every one of his projects illustrates at least one
new method to solve a problem that is unique.

The specialized fixtures, and some very interesting problem solutions
using a lathe, are just a couple of things that come to mind.

Yes, that damn brad nailer drives me nuts, yes he is dangerous with a
paint brush in his hand, but the shows are well written, the camera
work is quite good and the plans I have purchased were complete and
quite useful.

OTOH, most of the rest of these DIY shows are little more than shills
for the remodeling industry or totally inept wood butchers.

Lew

Te