Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

ransley wrote in
:

On Aug 23, 3:25*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy.

But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite
columnists in the /Berkeley Daily Planet/, Matt Cantor, local owner
of a home-inspection business who writes a weekly column on home
repair and maintenance.

Here's a sample:

* *I do genuinely hate these specific shows: "Hometime," "This Old Ho

use"
* *and "The New Yankee Workshop." I hate them for one simple reason:

they
* *make most people feel like idiots. Even if a show only demonstrate

s how
* *to build a basic chest of drawers, it does a lousy job of preparin

g the
* *average Joe or Joan for the task. In the end, the show provides no

thing
* *more than boutique shopping and showing off. I suppose that would

be a
* *lot of fun if you only want to learn that you—as a homeowner or

stock
* *broker or bank clerk—know nothing about houses or furniture or n

ails and
* *that you’ll never stand a chance of doing more than hanging a pi

cture on
* *the wall.

* *On shows like these, the jobs are made to look so darned easy. All

the
* *materials are waiting for assembly and nothing is spoiled, the wro

ng
* *type or missing. The air gun never misfires and the compressor nev

er
* *needs to be drained (yes, you have to drain compressors daily beca

use
* *they fill up with water and will rust out if you don’t do so). T

hat’s
* *another thing I hate: in actuality, there are many small details t

hat
* *fill a contractor’s day (or your day when you play contractor) b

ut
* *they’re neatly edited out, just as they are in a cooking show. J

ust pop
* *the raw one in the oven and Voila, the new freshly baked one comes

right
* *out of the other oven.

(See article
athttp://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2009-08-20/article/33

531)

Its a Show, you are to only get ideas from it, or do you think they
should spend alot of their time scraping paint, taping, cutting etc,
then it would be boring and off tv. I bet they make a very good
living, and thats why they do it.

Yea but at least once in a while, ya know..like first Saturday of the
month or something, show a DIY roofer plug a nail into his kneecap. Make
a nice lead-in to removing it on the Operation show..