Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Default Why I hate Norm Abrams

In ,
Red Green dropped this bit of wisdom:
David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

Well, I don't personally hate him. Don't even know the guy.

But that's the title of the latest piece by one of my favorite
columnists in the /Berkeley Daily Planet/, Matt Cantor, local owner
of a home-inspection business who writes a weekly column on home
repair and maintenance.

Here's a sample:

I do genuinely hate these specific shows: "Hometime," "This Old
House" and "The New Yankee Workshop." I hate them for one simple
reason: they make most people feel like idiots. Even if a show
only demonstrates how to build a basic chest of drawers, it does
a lousy job of preparing the average Joe or Joan for the task. In
the end, the show provides nothing more than boutique shopping
and showing off. I suppose that would be a lot of fun if you only
want to learn that you-as a homeowner or stock broker or bank
clerk-know nothing about houses or furniture or nails and that
you'll never stand a chance of doing more than hanging a picture
on the wall.

On shows like these, the jobs are made to look so darned easy. All
the materials are waiting for assembly and nothing is spoiled, the
wrong type or missing. The air gun never misfires and the
compressor never needs to be drained (yes, you have to drain
compressors daily because they fill up with water and will rust
out if you don't do so). That's another thing I hate: in
actuality, there are many small details that fill a contractor's
day (or your day when you play contractor) but they're neatly
edited out, just as they are in a cooking show. Just pop the raw
one in the oven and Voila, the new freshly baked one comes right
out of the other oven.

(See article at
http://berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue.../article/33531)

So many of my thought he printed.

They do need a reality show along those lines! The one where the
victim, aka DIY'r, turns the wrench to losen the whatever and every
pipe connected to it twists like a transmission tower that Godzilla
blew his big bad Habanero breath on.

We got one on H&G.

It's called "Holmes on Homes".

He is always dumping on the previous "contractor" who either didn't finish of screwed up royally but still managed to make off with a ton of money.

P D Q