Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default RSJ timber infill gaps

In message
,
sm_jamieson writes
My structural engineers plans involved a timber infill into an old
tapered flange RSJ.
I cut the timber infill to be quite a good fit into the shape, but
after tightening up, there is a small
gap (2mm) between the timber infill and the RSJ.
Is there any glue / substance that sets fairly incompressible, that I
could inject into the gap
so the load is not purely on the bolt holes ?
Come to think of it though, new timber always shrinks, so a timber
infill that is initially wedged
tight would probably loosen anyway, so maybe I'm worrying about
nothing.

Not so:-)

I was extending an agricultural barn recently and discovered that the
erectors had *sledged* short lengths of 4"x3" into the web to secure the
external cladding. It had to be chiselled out.

regards
--
Tim Lamb