Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charging socket polarity

In article ,
Laurence Payne writes:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:49:14 +0100, "DIY" wrote:

If the battery connects straight to the socket you'll need a suitable
charger, not a gen purp wallwart.

As stated in my original post I have got a regulated DC adaptor that can be
set from 1.5 to 12volts with either a positive or negative tip, and which I
have since used to charge both lanterns at 6volts. What is a wallwart?

What you're describing, if it looks like a pregnant 13-amp plug :-)

If there's no charging control circuitry in the appliance you'll just
have to make sure you don't leave it connected too long. A proper
charging system would be kinder to the batteries. But I wouldn't
worry too much. It's only a gadget, not the backup power supply to a
life-support system.

I guess it didn't have Lithium batteries (wrong voltage anyway),
or he'd be describing the resulting indoor firework display ;-)

(Having just knocked up something on the workbench to charge up
my Nokia phone's Lithium battery as the phone no longer can,
that's fresh on my mind. Fortunately, it worked very well.)

--
Andrew Gabriel