Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Water Heater Question

desgnr wrote:
Would there be much difference in operating costs for a 40 gallon gas
water heater vs. a 30 gallon ?

Depends on temp setting and how many users. Operating cost is a function
of how many minutes per day that burner is lit. Living alone, I could
probably get by with a 20 gallon. A house with 3 teenagers, even a 40
gallon is struggling to keep up. I'd go with a well-insulated 40 gallon,
for resale value if nothing else, if you have multiple bedrooms. You
burn a little more gas getting 40 gallons warm than 30, but it cycles
less often if there are multiple users. To save money, turn the temp
setting down to the lowest you feel safe with and can stand to shower
with. (120 or so?)

--
aem sends...