Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repairing an S-Video cable

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:27:49 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

If pro S cables are anything like consumer S cables, I'd toss it and get a
new one.

The difference between the pro and consumer cables is the price. For
overpriced cables, see the various audiophile catalogs.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=104
Now, if I paid $200 to $400 for an S-video cable, I certainly would be
interested in repairing it.

The S cable is the perfect complement to a VHS recorder: The connectors are
too small and "fragile", and worse, the coax (?) is so stiff that it's
usually impossible to position it in a way that minimizes strain on the
connectors.

There's no such thing as a perfect connector system. I've been
complaining about the choice of connectors for 30 years (without much
results). For example:

RJ11 telco: Broken tabs, flimsy, not filth proof.
RJ45 network: Same as above.
RCA phono: Flimsy, difficult to solder, not constant impedance.
UHF connector: Impossible to solder, not constant impedance.
S-Video: No retention, too stiff cable, tiny pins that break.
Cigarette lighter: No retention clip, oversided, low current, ugly.
Toslink: Flimsy
USB: Far too big. Too easy to break. Originally too stiff cable.
Mini/Micro USB: Cannot be cleaned. Too easy to break.
PS/2 kbd/mouse: Same as S-video. Too easily broken.
D-connectors: Overkill for most applications. Expensive.
Apple iPod connector: Too big, too flimsy, too easy to mangle.
Magnetic connectors: Great idea, but best used for low power
applications instead of Apple power connectors.
2.5/3.5mm jack: Good for earphones and mics, but not for power.
HDMI: An improved mini/micro USB connector. Quite good.
Lemo: Verrrrrrry expensive but really solid.
XL: Huge, monsterous, massive, etc. More suitable for a power
connector than for a microphone.
AC power plug: Shock hazzard
IEC power jack: Not too horrible. No retention, but that's a good
thing for most power cord applications.
F-connector: Compression type are fine. Crimp ring type fall apart.
etc...

I have a Cantares UHJ decoder that uses an S cable to connect the power
supply to the unit. I hate to think what will happen if the cable or
connectors ever break. It's repairable, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Inevitably, I've seen almost every type of connector being used for
power. I have a high voltage power supply that uses a UHF connector.
Plug in an antenna and fry a few birds. It gets really ugly with gold
plated pins, which are really only suitable for dry loads.

Has anyone ever seen a "limp" S cable?

Sure. Give an s-video cable to a 3 year old and suggest some
exercises.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D