Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Angle grinder triumphs again!

Once again my angle grinder has done a superb job. The grinder cost me
only NZ$8.50 (3.50 GBP).

I needed to copy this steel black-painted clamp. The original was
probably cast about 100 years ago and I don't happen to have a
foundry. So I had to carve it out of a solid block of steel.
The finished clamp, except that it still needs an extension welded to
the handle:
http://i26.tinypic.com/t4tk3q.jpg

Here's how I made it.
The original old clamp and a block of steel:
http://i28.tinypic.com/b9ce48.jpg

Start with the hardest part. Drill a hole and cut down to it:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2h3n5tj.jpg

Six more easy straight cuts:
http://i28.tinypic.com/3uhdt.jpg

I had to drill a couple more holes and cut down to them. Used a
grinder to round around the hole. It still may not be possible to do
this!
http://i25.tinypic.com/27yuxz6.jpg

A few more cuts, then out with the angle grinder with a flapper disk!
It pays to leave something to hold, opposite the difficult end:
http://i31.tinypic.com/hsnda8.jpg

Cheaper and quicker than taking it to a foundry!