Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis[_2_] Gareth Magennis[_2_] is offline

Default Repairing an S-Video cable

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an easy method to detect where the break might be
in the cable before I cut the other connector?

I have tried using a tone injector/tracer (for telecoms. cables)
however, as the signal is so strong, it couples onto the cable even if
is just placed nearby.

One method might be to use time-domain reflectometry. Transmit a
fast-rising pulse into one pin on the cable, while monitoring this pin
with a fast oscilloscope which can trigger on the rising edge. See
how long it takes before you see the effect of a reflection from an
open circuit (the voltage at the pin will jump) or a short (the
voltage will drop).

Figure an in-cable transmission rate of somewhere on the very rough
order of a nanosecond per foot. To work out the actual position of
the break, you'll need to know the end-to-end transmission-and-
reflection time (e.g. from one of the wires which still works) as well
as the end-to-break time. Divide the latter by the former, multiply
by the length of the cable, and that'll be where the break is.

I'm sorry, thats quite the most ridiculous suggestion of repairing a 10
dollar cable I have ever heard.