Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Amusing failure in Omega analogue watch

I don't know the model of your watch. Omega watches are very expensive
and considered very high end. It would pay to service the watch. Some
models had problems with their timing module. You can send the watch
to an authorized Omega service center to have it repaired. If you go
to the Omega web site, they can assist you to find a service rep
nearest to you. These high end quartz watches require mechanical
service about once every 10 years.

An Omega watch of any kind is a high quality instrument for life. Its
long term accuracy will far exceed any off the shelf lower end watch.
All of their watches meet very strict standards and would recognized
to navigate a ship or an aircraft. If you try to buy one new from a
certified dealer (not something from the net that is not authorized),
their most basic quartz watches in a stainless steel case can start at
about $1800 US and up. If it is a chronometer type watch, they can
start at over $2500 for a basic type.

I have been wearing a mechanical (windup) Omega Speedmaster Mark II
Professional watch since 1974. I was 25 years old when I bought it. I
get it cleaned and maintained by the Omega service people every 4
years. It is mechanical, and over the long term it is more accurate
than any of the other newer watches that I have.

Jerry G.

On Aug 20, 8:29*pm, Franc Zabkar wrote:
My father gave me his gold watch, a 25 year old Omega analogue quartz.
It had been lying idle in his drawer with the time-setting pin
disengaged. After re-engaging the pin, the hands began advancing at 4
times the normal rate. After 1 hour it has gained 3 hours. I assume
the crystal is oscillating at a higher overtone, maybe due to a weak
battery.

In any case I now have a watch to match the reverse Dick Smith wall
clock above my desk. Maybe I should start collecting misbehaving
timepieces.

- Franc Zabkar