Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default one for TMH?

Dave wrote:
I visited a service area on the motorway Thursday and Friday and while
drying my hands after washing them after a pee, a thought occured to
me.
Because of the high velocity of the air from the hand driers, could I
get an embolism through a cut on my hands?

The reasons service areas use hot air dryers are because paper towels, which
most peope prefer, are simply a PITA. Not just the cost, but storage, the
re stocking of the dispensers and the problem of removing literally tons of
paper waste.

The paper towel industry have the larger guns, the producers are huge
multinationals compared to the relatively small hot air dryer manufacturers.

The paper guys have been trying to oust hot air dryers for years, using
smear campaigns claiming that hot air dryers are dermitalogically bad and
more so that they generate airbourne bacteria. They have used every trick
in the book to try & demonise the hot air dryer - and failed.

The only argument I've never heard is the embolism one. If there was the
slightest evidence, they would have jumped on it bigtime.

The air isn't especially high velocity, rather its hot & high flow. Or was
until the Dyson Airblade http://www.dysonairblade.co.uk/ which operates
with an air speed of 400 mph! Notice they use the airbourne bacteria
argument as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk