Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default plumbing: scaled up tap connector (was freezing kits)

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

In the pipe freezing thread I was asking about changing some kitchen
sink taps. I'm afraid I have not changed the taps because all the nuts
are scaled over. I presume the tap connectors have weeped over the
years (fibre washer worn?) and the water has evaporated leaving the
scale behind. As you know, there's never much room to manouvre under a
sink at the best of times and even using one of those special spanners
I couldn't shift the nuts.

Pretty standard experience for me unforetunately.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On'
has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." --Calvin
Coolidge

What kind of 'special spanner' did you use? There are various typs & some
are better than others.

If I could get the tap connectors undone, I think I will have the same
problem with the tap back nuts. The hot water one in particular was
buried under calcium!

If you can cut the supply pipes to give a 'straight line' to the tap
connectors a box spanner will work, and will also sort the back nuts. If
the back nuts are plastic they are likely to be brittle & a good bashing
will break them.

Other than cutting the pipes and ripping the sink out and replacing
the sink and taps together, what's the best way to take out the taps?

Can the scale be dissolved off with an acid or vinegar? Would a blow
torch help loosen the nuts?

WD40 helps, as does a little percussive maintenance.

Correct spanner if often the key, which is why my plumbing bag is so piggin
heavy.

You forgot to say what weight of percussive maintenance to use :-)

Dave