Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Please help me identify this material

SoundMate wrote:
I have an old chest container whose main construction material I am
trying to identify in an attempt to source more of it for a crafts
project. The material is only 1mm thick, flexible, resilient and
strong, bending well around sharp 90 & 180 degree turns. It appears to
be a kind of dense fibreboard. Here are some photos of the said
container:

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/buljing/Trunk/

The chest has the remnants of a label on it but all I can make out of
this are the words 'container' and 'chester' (the UK place name of the
business who made it I assume), the rest was probably torn away about
20 years ago or so by me and/or my kid brother when it was used as our
toy box. If anyone can suggest a business that may have constructed
such a container then that may prove useful.

I'd also like to work with the same kind of crimped pins so if anyone
can suggest a name for these that would be appreciated. Any insight
would be great as so far the only material I've found that has similar
properties is cardboard but this does not have the same level of
durability that I need.

Try a google for leatherette. I just might be what you are looking for.
It has a soft plastic face, through which you can see the backing weave
like your photos show and the inside might look like a very thin layer
of felt. Very soft to the touch.

Dave