Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3972 Ignoramus3972 is offline

Default Small Florida Town "gets it" (guns)

On 2009-08-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A resolution is not a law. It's more like a suggestion or call to
citizens to "let's do this". It can legally be ignored.

Iggy, "can legally be ignored" is, I think, non-sequitor, because
there is no intent on the part of the council to compel - or even urge
- anyone to do anything -- only to encourage them.

A resolution is a public declaration of intent, position, willingness
to do something, or approval of some person or action.

When city and county councils issue resolutions, 90% of the time,
they're about congratulating or recognizing a person or organization
for things they did that benefitted the citizens. But sometimes they
issue resolutions to give guidance to the populace.

This one seems to be of that sort. The council was saying, "We the
law-making body of this city will support you if you go in this
direction. We approve of it, and you won't find yourself having to
defend your ownership or use of the gun, if you need it."

It's a completely legitimate political strategy to give a movement
"legs" without the difficult and often contentious process of actually
changing laws or ordinances or writing new ones that conflict with
some people's positions. They're saying "this is where we stand on
this matter" in a very public and documented way.

LLoyd

Lloyd, thanks, I think that I get it now. I hope that the would-be
home invaders know about that resolution also.