Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default long reach hedge cutters

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:
In the end, I ordered from a local stockist. However,
since none of the local stokists actually stock anything,
I've got to wait for it to arrive in stock.

Picked up the hedge trimmer. As to the bit about not being
allowed to do mail order so the local stockists can assemble
and teach you how to use the appliance, complete ********
would be the most applicable phrase.

Assembly was reasonably straight forward, except just about
every instruction was ambiguous, and with a diagram which
in most cases was such a magnified view of some bit of the
trimmer that it wasn't actually easy to see what bit of the
trimmer you're supposed to be looking at. No picture at all
of the whole thing assembled so you can see how the parts
are supposed to be orientated (except for a tiny one on the
front cover which is too small to see any detail).

I bought the shorter one, but even then, it's long and that
takes some getting used to. After assembling on the dining
room floor, I stood it up, and dinged a piece of plaster
off the ceiling;-)

In use, it's a very smooth operator. Compared with my
standard B&D trimmer, it's very quiet, very low vibration,
and very powerful (in part due to new blades, no doubt),
and much faster to use. However, it's also heavier of
course, and it takes some getting used to handling the
weight and length, and making it cut exactly where you
want. I found myself getting out the old B&D trimmer for
a few things -- the long reach can't cut close to you,
and there were some places where I couldn't easily
manouver it's length, and the standard B&D worked better.

--
Andrew Gabriel