Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bolted[_3_] Bolted[_3_] is offline

Default Using MDF for fascia boards - any problems?

On 22 Aug, 09:40, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Stuart Noble wrote:

ISTR in Scandinavia an external grade MDF is used for road signs.

Permanent ones? I suppose if it was coated with some high tech stuff it
could be ok - but house paint isn't high tech. ;-)

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I don't know why you are quite so sceptical - I can understand some
scepticism, but if they use a fully waterproof glue (and enough if
it), why should it last any less well than WBP ply providing it isn't
particularly stressed? They may well treat the sawdust with
preservative (I know Medite are developing one with acetylised wood -
dust equivalent of Accoya). They might even use durable hardwood
dust, but I doubt it. It's a resin panel, with a cellulose filler is
all. If the resin is right, and the quantity of it is right, and the
filler is right, I see no reason there will necessarily be an issue.
How much would you worry about leaving a sheet of compact grade
laminate (commonly used for cladding - have a peek over at the new
blue Royal Holloway!), or tufnol outside?