Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] clarkmagnuson@gmail.com is offline

Default How are you avoiding metal slivers in your hands?

Now burns from hot chips, I have when I'm working on something in the tool room.

Action wrench? *Doing a barrel change? *Do tell.

Wes

Usually can smell burning chest hair with the first one or two
incoming, but then one reaches the skin

I use 1.75" x 1.75" blocks to make action wrenches or barrel vises. I
use 1.5" Aluminum round stock to make the collets.
I usually work on Mausers with a flat bottom, but this week it is a
Rem700 with a round bottom. So the barrel vise is round with round
collet and I made an action wrench that is round with round collet.

The bad slivers are from a high speed die grinder and from trying to
drill a 1.5" hole through big blocks of steel without a proper drill,
but using mill bits tapered mill bits instead. The small slivers are
getting everywhere. I need an eye loop to see them, which is the
eyepiece from a cannibalized pair of binoculars.