Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe J. Joe J. is offline

Default Turning off HW heater while on vacation, lower T-stat or just leave pilot on?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The tiny bit of heat from the pilot helps keep a small air
flow. Holds down humidity, so it doesn't rust out. Or, so
I'm told.

Same deal with furnaces. Pilot light models, leave the pilot
light on at all times.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

" wrote in message

Yes. Just turn the knob to 'pilot' . A pilot flame uses a
very small
amount of gas while youre on vacation.

We have a vacation setting on ours and an electronic pilot. Ours in located
in the garage and the water is distributed through the attic. We live in
Vegas and went away for 4 days so I turned it to the vacation setting.. We
went came back, I forgot to turn it back up. We both showered and didn't
notice for three days, since there is so much heat in the garage and attic
during the summer here. But it's a dry heat grin 110 today.