Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Using MDF for fascia boards - any problems?

aswell13 wrote:
I need about 100M of 25x250 fascia boards and they are working out
quite expensive. What are the problems if I decides to cut fascia
boards from 2400 x 1200mm sheets of 25mm MDF?

Quick deterioration of the MDF leading to early renewal - thus dramatically
cutting any cost savings over tanalised or untreated timber [1].

Also are there any advantages in using MDF primer as opposed to normal
wood primer?

None, the stuff will still rot or break down early.

[1] I have just finished painting my 30+ year old tanalised fascia boards
and there was absolutely no sign of rot or decay in them - and that's a
'life' that you will *never* obtain with any type of MDF when used
externally.

My advice is to 'bite the bullet' and pay the costs for some decent, treated
timber and then decorate it correctly - or replace (or cover) the old stuff
with plastic.

Cash