Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wal-Mart Recalls Overheating DVD Players

One of the problems with cheap electronics is that they're more likely to
fail, then be thrown out, unrepaired. This contributes to the pile of
electronic trash littering the world.

There is an obvious connection between the rapid technical advances that
occur in consumer electronics (and to a lesser extent, photographic
equipment) and the _need_ for cheap electronics. The more something costs,
the less motivation consumers have to discard last year's product for this
year's (often genuinely) improved model.

It would be better -- if only for the environment -- if we bought fewer and
better-made products, even if they cost more. Towards the end of 1999, I
bought my first DVD player, the discontinued Sony DVP-S7000, for half-price
($600). (It was the first commercial DVD player, I believe.)

It worked until several years ago, when it simply stopped, for no obvious
reason. Instead of repairing it, I laid out $400 (special deal) for what was
then the top-of-the-line Sony DVD player, which included multi-ch SACD
playback.

Several days after getting the new DVD player, I checked the old one -- and
it worked. It's still working, in my bedroom. I attribute this failure to
what I _call_ "CMOS lockup", though whether that's the cause, I don't know.
But I've seen it in other products, including TVs and PDAs. The device
simply stops working (or behaves oddly), then comes back to life after
sitting a while, especially after being unplugged or having its batteries
removed.

Thoughts, anyone?