George

Default Cheap tools??

I'd temper your advice a little with "consider if a poorly made item can
injure you"...with that in mind, I'd avoid any power machinery that I didn't
trust (look for UL labels, etc) and cutters, especially brazed ones like
carbide tipped circular saw blades.

If your clamps break and you're wearing your safety glasses (thanks Norm),
you'll most likely be OK.

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" wrote in message
Good luck with getting an answer. You're going to get answers in two

basic
categories. One will be those that say buy the best available ("pay

once",
"you get what you pay for", etc). The others will say the cheap tool is
fine for occasional use ("I've got a cheap one and for the one time a year

use it it works fine", etc).

I think it depends on how often you'll use a tool and how much money for
tools you have. Buying two cheap tools that work "ok" for you might be
better than one tool that works fantastic. I do think you generally get
what you pay for. The question is, and only you can answer it, is how

good
of a tool do you need?

For those that say buy the best...I propose that you DO NOT buy the best
available 100% of the time. Do you have the best car, the best
washer/dryer, the best house, the best set of chisels, the best saw blade,
the best suit, eat at the best restaurant, etc?. I doubt anyone can say
they have the best of everything they own, but they're quick to tell YOU

spend your money on the best available.

Just my opinion, but everyone else is welcome to use it...
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Howard" wrote in message

Found a general-merchandise site with some tools that look like a pretty

good
deal, but I don't recognize the brands -- and some of the brands aren't

mentioned
at all. I would be interested to know if any of you woodworkers might

recognize
any of these, and share your opinions...

1) 2 gal. air compressor. No brand name given. $52

http://www.suzyqshop.com/product.asp?0=51&1=53&3=2826
Is 2 gal/4cfm enough for anything useful?

2) Air Brad Nailer by American Tool Group. $26. Don't recognize

"American
Tool Group".
http://www.suzyqshop.com/product.asp?0=51&1=53&3=2823
Also, they had an air hose for $8 (good price or not?)

3) Benchtop drill press. No brand name given. $40
http://www.suzyqshop.com/product.asp?0=51&1=52&3=1900
I could definitely use a drill press. I hestitate to plunk down $40 for

something
from an unknown manufacturer that might be junk, but I'm still tempted,

because
the local borg's similar-sized DP is about twice the price.

That's about it for their tool selection. They had some hand tools

(screwdriver
sets, drill bits) pretty cheap, but I don't need any cheap screwdrivers

just
now, and I have seen forstner bits cheaper elsewhere. The site is

mainly
oriented towards toys, jewelry, and knives.

--
Howard