Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen[_6_] Stephen[_6_] is offline

Default immersion heaters

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:45:01 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

Well... I sense confusion. Yes there's 90C pvc versus 70, the term
'heat resistant' only means its to some degree more heat resistant
than the more common pvc, that doesnt make it comparable to high temp
cables such as butyl rubber.

Then there's also the q of what happens when temp rating is exceeded,
rubber and pvc behave somewhat differently.

I'm happy to admit I may be confused because I am certainly not an
expert but shouldn't TLC know better? Why are they advertising it as
immersion cable if it would be dangerous to do so?

What happens to butyl and PVC cables when they overheat?