Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wal-Mart Recalls Overheating DVD Players

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
US recalls don't seem to be applied to the UK. Had suspension failure
on my BMW which was the subject of a recall in the US on the same
version of my model to strengthen the component - and BMW UK initially
denied all knowledge. Then prattled on about the US being different to
the UK.

In many cases they are not. For example, the inspection of devices for
saftey in the US is performed by a private agency the Underwriter's
Laboratories. The UL actually tests samples of the product before
issuing certification/

In the UK/EU the certification is by the "CE", which does no testing.
You do your own and file an application for certfication. If you have
done everything properly according to the paperwork, you are given the
certificate.

That's fine on new products, but many vehicle recalls only happen after
they've been in service for some time and a weakness has come apparent.
In this case it was metal fatigue.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.