Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Amusing failure in Omega analogue watch

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
My father gave me his gold watch, a 25 year old Omega analogue quartz.
It had been lying idle in his drawer with the time-setting pin
disengaged. After re-engaging the pin, the hands began advancing at 4
times the normal rate. After 1 hour it has gained 3 hours. I assume
the crystal is oscillating at a higher overtone, maybe due to a weak
battery.

In any case I now have a watch to match the reverse Dick Smith wall
clock above my desk. Maybe I should start collecting misbehaving
timepieces.

- Franc Zabkar

I (in the UK) once had to repair a bedside clock radio that was running hot
and running slow. It was actually made for the USA and 110V / 60Hz that
someone had put a UK plug on the mains cable. Not burnt up running at 240V
but the 50Hz meant it was losing exactly 10 minutes an hour.

My local has a few disguised clocks including a reverse one. I though about
making one with a pointy-tooth eliptical gear and axially sprung loaded
conical pinion so it would run alternately fast and slow each hour.
There is a church near me that has a clock in the tower that is so old that
it has only one hand, other not dropped off, minutes weren't needed prior to
the railways coming in.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England