Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Si-diodes in Second World War radar & Communication equipment

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:07:46 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

First, Si diodes were not used in WW II. The PN SI diode wasn't invented yet.

Selenium wafers and sticks were the power types
and point or whisker diodes for RF. [ I have some of these in lead cans ]

In the 60's it was still that way.

Silicon diodes were developed by bell labs for internal telephone use
but semiconductor had to be invented first.

Look at the date of the transistor. Silicon diode and Germanium diode.

I know Radar in B52's were using Selenium and Germanium for RF.

http://www.computerhistory.org/semic...ine.html#1940s
Different times scan down the page...

Silicon came later since it was hard to use and Ge was the center of
it all.

---
From the post you're responding to's headers:

"Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:51:10 +0200"

Three questions:

1. Why are you responding to a post that's over a year old?
2. Why are you top-posting?
3. Why don't you do a little fact-checking before you post?

JF