Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Aftermarket Power feed

Kevin(Bluey) wrote:
Bill Noble wrote:

"Ignoramus15924" wrote in
message ...

I bought some stuff from CDCO and can repeat what Rex said. Those
were more simple things, however.

In addition, I bought a (very likely) identical powerfeed from a
similar distributor in the US. The powerfeed was packaged very
decently. If CDCO resells the same powerfeed, I would concur with the
assumption that the package was tampered with in transit.

On 2009-08-20, RBnDFW wrote:
Dissatisfied customer wrote:
I bought a power feed for my milling machine from CDCO of Tower Road
Schaumburg , Illinois .

Being in Australia I recieved it about 10 days after I paid the
invoice.
On opening the box I noticed the lack of decent packaging and there
was
some evidence of damage from some of the loose parts in the box
hitting
against the main unit.The parts and main unit were in normal plastic
bags and he had put about a dozen of those foam peanuts in there which
did nothing .

I have had some items damaged in shipping to AU, but not many - but in
my case the items were cheap, and the shipping was 10 or 20X what the
buyer paid for the item - your machine parts are much more expensive
there, but at least you get to try the thing out or at least inspect
it first. Because of the cost of shipping, the advise to sell it
locally may actually be really good advise - even with the damage, you
may well get your $$ back out of it - and postage within AU is for
more cost effective, even if you have to ship across the country, than
international post. I looked at some machinery in a machinery surplus
store outside Adelaide, and I was astounded - parts that I wouldn't
pay $10 for were marked at $400 to $500, and a clapped out rusty
wolhaupter head with no accessories was marked $950.

Perhaps if you post here exactly what mill you have, someone can tell
you what power unit might fit it. Or, you can get a gear drive motor
and make your own (guys like me, and probably Iggy have such small
motors, and shipping to AU runs around $40 for a flat rate box if I
remember right)

www.wbnoble.com

The same or similar power feed is $600.00AUD here plus shipping and
another $120.00 for a 240/110 2 amp transformer to power it.
The main reason I bought from the US and the Aussie dollar was up at 85
cents against the US dollar.

My mill is a Taiwanese import , of around 2000 manufacture maybe earlier
, it is floor mounted and is very similar to the mill that Grizzly sold
as a wood mill ,the only difference I can see is that my mill does not
has a dovetailed beam that carries the head that can be cranked in and
out or the hole in the center of the table .
I have the Grizzly manual and the parts manual both downloaded from the
Grizzly website , the manual shows the power feed fitted to thier
machine ,that's why I bough the power feed , it looks the same as the
one I recieved .

All the badges have been removed so I can't even tell where it was
purchased but I am certain it came from Hare & Forbes as I have seen one
on Ebay Australia that is identical with the H&F labelling .
I can e-mail images of it if that would help.

There is another type of power feed that is for bench mounted mill drills .
I was prepared to pay return postage and exchange the power feed if it
would fit my machine , he would have suffered no loss at all.

Actually I just looked at the Grizzly website and this mill is almost
identical to mine ,except mine is an older model and does not have the
variable speed , hand wheels are a bit different .This one looks to have
longer shafts that the handwheels are mounted on.
But the two bolt extension on the end of the table looks the same bolt
hole pattern.
The bearing housing in the extension on the grizzly looks to protrude
further out
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-...cal-Mill/G0678

The power feed I bought is the first on the left column and the one I
reckon I should have got is the second one down.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2009/Main/609

I've just looked at the installation manuals on the Grizzly site and may
be able to fit it easier than I thought , the chingchong instructions
that came with the power feed are not the clearest to say the least.
I may not need that adaptor bracket that came with the unit just drill
and tap the bearing housing on the end of the table to take the four
socket cap screws.

--
Kevin (Bluey)