Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Closed cell foam: 3" as good as 6"?

wrote:

Don't think so. Resulting efficiency rate drops off as thickness
increases. If you're at 50% with 3", you might be at 70% with 6" and
80% at 9" and 85% at 12" (numbers are made up).

You're spot on about insulating the rest of the house. It won't do
much good to insulate the attic if you leave the front door open.

I agree with Bub on this one. It is like SPF numbers on sunscreen.
Pretty soon you reach the point of diminishing returns.

Attic insulation is really a winter thing more than a summer thing
anyway. At a certain point you have to decide heat rises. You cold air
loss is down on the walls, windows and doors. Cooling your attic with
better ventilation may return more than an extra few inches of
insulation.

That depends. There are places where winter temperatures never drop below
50°F but summer temps can reach 130°F.

I'm in Houston and I'm blessed that I've actually seen snow. Not many of my
neighbors have.