Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Replacing anode rods in water heaters?

JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 19, 6:29 pm, Salmon Egg wrote:
Does it make practical sense to preemptively replace anodes in
working water heaters in order to extend their lives? Is it better
to just wait until leaking begins?

Bill

When I was a kid I needed an anode rod for a science experiment. Well
I went down to the local hardware store and while they had some the
guy there said I could save some money by scavaging for what I needed
at the dump. When I got there they had a section of the dump with them
piled up. I pulled a dozen of the things and there wasnt enough
degradation of any of them to mention.

That's all those people that replace the tank because it's old, not because it
needs to be replaced.