Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turning off HW heater while on vacation, lower T-stat or just leave pilot on?

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:24:25 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I'm going away for a week and I wanted to put my gas HW heater in
"vacation mode". In the past I noticed that even if I turn down the T-
stat dial, it still comes on, although the water temp is lower than
the usual 140 deg. Am I better off just putting the gas valve to
"pilot" instead of "on", that way I know for sure it will stay off?

Unless you need water pressure for sprinklers, turn OFF your water
main, turn OFF the gas, turn OFF the water heater. When you turn
your heater back on, follow the directions on the tank, it's usually
quite easy.