Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium glue

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need to secure a boss made from aluminium rod into a hole made in the
wall of an aluminium tube. Of course welding would be ideal - but
there's little load on it. And I'm not sure I can be bothered finding
an aluminium welder. Unless I could do it myself with my MIG. Which
I'm not much good with on steel. ;-) Car body filler? Epoxy? Any
special precautions?

Wouldn't be worth buying a roll of aluminium welding wire for one small
job like that but yes you could do it with a MIG with the right wire.

I seem to be always buying stuff for that 'one small job' - given the
hassle of getting anything like that done round here. I have enough
materials to make the whole thing again a couple of times - so it wouldn't
be a disaster if I fooked it up.

If you want it welded and it's small enough to post a mate of mine could
TIG it for you. I've got to get some other stuff to him soon anyway so
it could go in with that.

Thanks - but I was hoping to get it finished tomorrow. ISTR seeing ally
welding wire in Halfords - might be worth having a go. I'm sure if
successful the rest would get used sooner or later.

Otherwise roughen the surfaces up a bit and
araldite it. That'll be as strong as you can get short of welding it.

It's only holding an air temp sensor. BTW, you were right about the thread
being M14 1.5. Got a set of taps off Ebay for pennies which did the job
just fine. Only carbon steel, but ok for ally.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.