Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default DIY Coffin

Tim S wrote:
coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:03:08 +0100, Tim S wrote:

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:
Can anyone remember the last time that they saw an open coffin?

When my father died, I took my 4 year old daughter to the undertakers to
say "goodbye Grandad", courtesy of an open coffin.

Not to everyone's taste, but it was a good thing in our case and she
handled it very well. My son was unlikley to handle it well, being much
younger, so he didn't go.

My Grandmother who departed herself long ago never got over the
experience of visiting Her Grandmother in her coffin. A young child
at the time she was forced to kiss Granny one last time on the
forehead by pushy relatives.

I asked mine and she wanted to go - certainly wouldn't have pushed her.

She knew what she was doing and even picked some flowers of her own
volition.

But I agree, being forced into these things could do more harm than good.

Maybe not the case with your youngsters; but persoinally I can't help
feeling that when very young kids are involved, with the best of
intentions, their natural feelings of morbid curiosity surpass other
emotions when deciding these things. In the end we didn't take up the
undertaker's offer ourselves, or offer our kids the opportunity.

David