Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Aluminium glue

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need to secure a boss made from aluminium rod into a hole made in the
wall of an aluminium tube. Of course welding would be ideal - but there's
little load on it. And I'm not sure I can be bothered finding an aluminium
welder. Unless I could do it myself with my MIG. Which I'm not much good
with on steel. ;-)
Car body filler? Epoxy? Any special precautions?

Wouldn't be worth buying a roll of aluminium welding wire for one small job
like that but yes you could do it with a MIG with the right wire. If you
want it welded and it's small enough to post a mate of mine could TIG it for
you. I've got to get some other stuff to him soon anyway so it could go in
with that. Otherwise roughen the surfaces up a bit and araldite it. That'll
be as strong as you can get short of welding it.
--
Dave Baker