Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Longevity of electrolytics

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 8/20/2009 12:35 AM Dave Plowman (News) spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Three pieces of electronic equipment I use every day: my computer
(motherboard is about 10 years old), my "good" audio equipment (Technics
amplifier, Vector Research tuner, both somewhere between 15-20 years
old), and the receiver I use for sound on my computer (an Allied that I
bought *used* in 1975).

I have other old elecronic stuff that also works fine.

Most of these are likely lacking the part which taxes caps - an SMPS.

Well, if you re-read what I wrote, real carefully this time, you'll find
that there's at least one thing that most definitely *does* have a SMPS,
which hasn't failed yet.

And I have other stuff with SMPSs that haven't failed yet either.

Then *those* are the ones that you've been real lucky with - so far ...

Arfa