Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Cutting close to brickwork

Hi people.
I want to cut off the protruding part of an old wooden cill (in
completely the wrong place now!), so that it's flush with the
brickwork below it. Although it's a cill, there's no void above it
(as there would be if I had just removed the window), so I'll be
cutting close to the wall above and there's a cement fillet (about an
inch) over a protruding DPC beneath it, so I need some way to cut
vertically downward, just through the timber.
I had thought of buying a Fein (or clone) but would this cut through
around 2 inches of wood (getting on for 6 feet long as well, so a lot
of plunges) or just make a pig's ear of what's left behind? If there
aren't any suggestions, I may have to resort something like a hammer
and chisel (perhaps a wood chisel in an SDS drill?). It's very nearly
a job for the angle grinder, but I don't think it would make a very
good job on wood, somehow, and though I'm tempted to put a circular
saw blade on it, something tells me that's not a bright idea(!)

Any bright ideas out there?
Cheers