Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default DIY Coffin

"Lobster" wrote in message
geoff wrote:
In message , Tim S
writes
ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

As an aside

Can anyone remember the last time that they saw an open coffin?

Are you talking about an open coffin, as in at a wake or funeral service,
though, where everyone 'pays their respects'? (not quite the same thing
as the posters below experience which I think is pretty widespread
practice)

A bit of both really. As a small child I do remember a wake that was open
coffin. It was quite wierd. It was my great aunty who had died and suspect
that her funeral wishes were followed to the letter. I remember everyone
having to walk through the house and the coffin was in the lounge. A very
different situation to Tims personal choice to have a private viewing
(below).

When my father died, I took my 4 year old daughter to the undertakers to
say "goodbye Grandad", courtesy of an open coffin.

Not to everyone's taste, but it was a good thing in our case and she
handled
it very well. My son was unlikley to handle it well, being much younger,
so
he didn't go.

I wasn't sure that I'd be able to handle it

I'm glad I did

Dunno, really. In my own case the undertaker pushed it a bit, as being a
'good idea', but none of the family, including me, were keen. I don't
have any regrets now, later. I was with my Dad when he died - maybe that
makes a difference? But even had I not been there I can't imagine
wanting to have gone to a viewing - don't know what it would have
achieved.

Each to his own, I suppose.

I have never gone to a viewing. It is my personal choice. Each to their own.

David

Adam