Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Longevity of electrolytics

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Well, if you re-read what I wrote, real carefully this time, you'll find
that there's at least one thing that most definitely *does* have a SMPS,
which hasn't failed yet.

And I have other stuff with SMPSs that haven't failed yet either.

It's not that the one unit has an SMPs and another does not. It's that the
SMPs in question are designed, like the rest of the unit, to last longer
than the warranty, but not much more.

Since most consumers choose soley on price the only concern of everyone is that
the units last at least a day longer than the warranty. There is no need for
anything else because if it fails, they are not going to buy a different brand
or go to a different store because they "felt cheated", they are just going
to look for a replacement at the lowest possible price.

Very likey if it is an item which can be shipped, it will be bought from
an internet retailer. Being interested in photography, I'm sure you remember
all of those mail order scam dealers some of whom are still around, even after
ripping off customers for since the 1960's.

Like many of those camera dealers, internet retailers are often the same
company using different names.

Geoff.