Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default More on Electrolytic Rust Removal

spaco wrote:
I just added a short webpage about electrolytic rust removal.
As you all know, there's lots of info about it around the web. If you
don't know about it, google: "electrolytic rust removal" and you will
see lots of stuff including some U-tube videos.

The main reason I did this is to show some "before and after" pix to
help you decide whether this process is for you or not and to add a few
comments:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/R...cDerusting.htm

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

a good way of rust removal,
thought Id comment that I do it another way as I dont have constant
leccy off the grid.. To run a charger.
My interest is is in rust removal from wrought iron, ie iron that
been made by the reduction process the way metallic iron was made from
iron ore before the bessemer process was invented in 1866/7.
I collect old iron implements made from wrought iron and to remove the
rust, i first heat to a dull red heat to crack off the heavy scale, then
i use a plastic bucket or suitably sized container to hold the iron
object, then i fill the container to cover the iron with old battery acid.
This i get from our local scrap yard by the 5 gallon full for free.
so it works by itself. Obviously you need to use common sense
handling this stuff, Its not dangerous from the odd drop if you wash off
right away, tho if you get splashes on your jeans ,next time you wash
them youll get holes where the splashes were.
On wrought iron it eats off the rust and some of the iron so when you
remove it from the acid, neutralise with wash up liquid in water, wire
brush aand dry off you will see the original grain structure of the
wrought work.
It looks some times like the grain in wood and when oiled up or waxed
is very beautiful to look at.
i aquired a 90lb silversmiths T stake made about 1800 from wrought iron
with crucible steel fire welded to the top face and its nice enough as
an ornament in my sitting room, even tho its a really useful part of my
silversmiths workshop.
I use battery acid in large amounts anyway to pickle all my silver and
other non ferrous brazed work.
There is a much more powerful pickle called bright dip.
its
70 parts concentrated nitric acid
200 parts ditto sulfuric acid
140 parts of water
1 level teaspoon of common table salt.
all by volume not weight.

if you waqnt to go down this route you need to do a lot of research on
methodology fume cupboards protective face and clothing etc.

have fun
ted
dorset
UK.