Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Making screws from soft metal

On Aug 18, 5:15*am, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:07:49 -0700 (PDT), the renowned whit3rd

wrote:
On Aug 17, 9:17*am, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:
What would be my best bet for getting a relatively small quantity
(current requirement is 100 pieces) of machine screws (a couple of
sizes, like 6-32) made from 0.25" dia. metal rod. The material (Nb) is
soft like copper and generally nasty to machine. I'd like a Torx or
similar head so it's not as easy to screw up as a slot.

Ideas?...

Have a design problem where the driver (but not the head) has to fit
through a relatively small hole in some cases (imagine putting the
screw into the internal side wall of a pocket, driven through a
smallish access hole), but it's certainly worth considering. Maybe a
two piece driver.

Try milling two crossed slots and then pounding a Phillips bit into
the center to swage out a Phillips recess.

jsw